There are so many eating and drinking establishments in the historic district! You can eat and drink your way around the world and still crawl home to bed! We’ve highlighted a few eateries below for your consideration, but there are constantly new ones opening. Plus, there’s great live music, craft cocktails and endless variety of beer and wine everywhere!
We’ve calculated it would take you at least three or four 4-hour ‘tours” to cover everything within walking distance of the Higgins House, and even then, you wouldn’t have been able to try everything! You certainly would be stuffed, and probably shouldn’t be driving! Fortunately, there’s a complimentary golf cart service roaming the district to ferry you home if needed…
The Alley / Fuel BBQ
Great BBQ! The brisket, pulled porked and smoked chicken are to die for. Fast, friendly service. Fuel is attached to The Alley – a wonderful Blues place (and southern rock). Open mic night is Tuesday, and there’s usually a Sunday afternoon jam. Check their website for upcoming concerts.
120 S. Park Avenue, www.thealleyblues.com 407-328-4848
Seafood, outside dining, live entertainment. If you’re interested, ask for the fish and chips – it’s not on the menu, but always available.
112 E. 1st Street www.thebreezewayrestaurantandbar.com 407-878-1284
Buster’s Belgium Bistro
Belgium food (the best! Mmmm – which is it going to be tonight? Steak and fries, tikka masala, voul au vent… whatever, make sure you order the fries!) and great imported Beer, live entertainment. Great outdoor garden.
300 Sanford Avenue www.bustersbistro.com 407-732-6880
The District Eatery Tap & Barrel
Fine cuisine, quiet atmosphere. My go-to place for a delicious meal, bowl of soup, mussels, risotto with seafood… doesn’t hurt that it’s so close to the Higgins House!
112 W. 2nd Street www.districtsanford.com 407-330-2730
Hollerbach’s Willow Tree Café
Authentic, tasty German cuisine and beer, live entertainment on weekends. Voted one of the top German restaurants in the US. Lively and can be loud with everyone having a fun time, great patio to sit outside… Reservations on the weekend are strongly recommended!
205 E 1st St. www.willowtreecafe.com 407-321-2204
Sanford Brewing Company
Craft Beer – Pub food, live entertainment most nights; open jazz night on Wednesdays. They have make your own macaroni and cheese (GF-friendly available), a GREAT black and bleu burger, and really tasty philly cheesesteak. Other tasty delights are available, too. Did I mention good beer? Family and dog friendly.
400 Sanford Avenue www.sanfordbrewing.com 407-732-6419
An Irish pub. A new addition to the historic district. Great music, great beer and an irresistible line up of whisky. The carved bar is amazing, and the snug is delightful. The shepherd’s pie is my favorite… the only problem with it is that I want seconds…
116 E. 1st Street 407-878-2530
A high end, casual, unique and intimate restaurant; amazing entrees that you certainly won’t be making at home! Reservations strongly recommended.
125 W 1st Street www.thetennesseetruffle.com 407-942-3977
Wops Hops Brewing Company
Craft Beer – Pub food, Live entertainment most weekends. One of the best meatball subs in town…. Good flatbreads, wings, and Greg’s soups are delicious!
419 Sanford Avenue. www.wopshopsbrewing.com 407-878-7819
El Zocolo’s Mexican Restaurant
classic and contemporary Mexican food. All your traditional favorites, plus other wonderful, delicious offerings. Its not your ordinary Mexican food… Make sure to order one of the house specialties! Divine margaritas… ‘not saying more.
406 Sanford Avenue www.elzocalosanford.com 321-363-4111
The following delightful places don’t serve full meals, but offer great drinks and unique atmospheres.
- Bitters and Brass Cocktail Bar – specialty drinks, 1920’s speakeasy atmosphere
410 Sanford Avenue 407-871-2237
- Celery City Craft Beer Garden – many selections of craft beer, outside garden seating, live entertainment
114 S. Palmetto Avenue celerycitycraft.com 407-915-5541
- Deviant Wolf – one of the newest breweries on the Sanford scene, specializing in tasty sours.
121 W 1st Street com 407-878-6239
- Ellen’s Wine Room – fine wines, cozy atmosphere, a place you’re always warmly welcomed. Join in on the Friday and Saturday night sing-alongs…
440 Sanford Avenue ellenswineroom.com 407-936-1705
- Luisa’s Wine Cellar – fine wines, a variety of beer, and delicious coffee drinks. A lovely atmosphere – a patio you want to linger on, and see if you can gain access to their Speakeasy (open only on Friday and Saturdays). Mary’s knowledge of wines is extensive, and there are always tastings and unique offerings available.
206 Sanford Ave luisascellar.com 407-915-7309
- The Imperial – craft cocktails, good wine, comfortable atmosphere… can’t go wrong here!
116 E. Sanford imperialwinebar.com 407-732-6956
- Tuffy’s – small batch cidery, local craft beers, big TV screen theater, a huge beer garden with firepit, games and food trucks serving poke and other delights. Lots of good concerts.
200 Myrtle Ave